Wednesday, December 14, 2016

11.5 Months

*sheepishly sneaks back, avoids the fact I haven't kept up with the blog and was MIA for 4 months*

I'm just gonna jump back in. I still have braces. My birthday passed, Thanksgiving passed, and I still have metal in my mouth. ALSO, it has been quite an interesting few months.

I went in at the beginning of October and I was told that they wanted to implement a "slingshot plan" on me. Like what even is that, right? I got a whole schpeel on what TAD's are (Temporary Anchoring Devices) and was shown a diagram of what they wanted to do to me (omg).
Mine was slightly different looking
Basically, they wanted to screw in two TAD's to the roof of my mouth, then attach a sling-shot shaped wire that would attach to two rubber bands, that would attach my front teeth and pull them back very slightly. I guess even though my teeth are straight, my front teeth were still 2mm or so, too far forward. Using this method, they could pull them into position without compromising the angle. Awesome concept, its proven to work, my orthodontist has done a million of them. So I said, okay fine. I've come this far I might as well. I scheduled my appointment and went in to get this done. Disclaimer: My description of this experience is not a dig at my orthodontist in any way. I'm just describing what happened to me personally. They numbed the roof of my mouth with a few shots which was fine; unpleasant but nothing major. Then they screwed the first screw in. I couldn't feel it, until the last couple turns. Since the screws were 8mm long they butted up against or may have pierced through my sinus cavity. I could feel the last couple of turns as it hit some nerve in my nose. It wasn't excruciating, but I started tearing up from the discomfort. Second screw goes in, same thing. Then he decided he didn't like the placement of the first screw, took it out, and put another one in. That sucked, more tears. Then it was another hour of keeping my mouth open (which is still hard to do even 11 months after surgery) while they glued, shaped, and attached the slingshot portion. Not a fun trip but I knew it had to be done and that it would help me. Two weeks go by, it's annoying and gets food stuck in it but it's not a huge deal.

Yep, you bet those came from my mouth.
UNTIL the morning that one of my rubber bands breaks. I freaked out. It was Saturday and I knew I wouldn't be able to see them for at least two days. So in fear that it would pull unequally on my teeth, I figured I should cut the other one off as well. I didn't think much of it, but called first thing on Monday morning. They were closed so I went in first thing Tuesday morning. I fully expected them to replace the rubber bands and send me on my way, but NO. With my luck, there was a slight problem. When I first got the screws in, my doctor described it like this: When you hang a painting on a wall, a very small nail can hold a large amount of weight perfectly fine. But once you take the painting off the nail, the nail comes out of the wall very easily. When I took all the tension of the rubber bands off of the screws, THEY STARTED COMING LOOSE. They told me the screws were too loose and they needed to take them out even though my teeth hadn't fully moved yet. Now this is the one part I wish would have been different. They removed the screws from the roof of my mouth without numbing me at all. It was extremely painful and it was made worse by the fear that they might have to re-do the entire procedure. But this time God smiled down on me and the doc told me we weren't going to put them back in. The holes healed up fine within a few days and didn't get infected or anything. (its the small victories)
Awww look at the gross yellow teeth :)

YIKES. I was mostly upset because I had to go through so much discomfort in such a short span, only to learn it hadn't worked all the way. I would love to be an advocate for this procedure, but I honestly didn't have the greatest experience with it. It has worked for many other people and extreme cases, I was of course just a rare case.

I got my next set of wires and was told to come back in a month. I had my most recent appointment last week. I was really hoping to get my braces off before the end of winter break but at this point I don't even care anymore. Originally I was only supposed to have them on 4-6 months after surgery. This is month 12...whats 2-3 more right? I still have two sets of sure smile wires left, but I might be able to skip straight to the last set next time. Even my younger siblings are getting their braces off before me. ugh. At least I don't have any extra contraptions in my mouth anymore. Just gotta wait it out. The finish line is in sight people!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Kelly,
    Your journey sounds similar to mine, I had my orthognathic jaw surgery about the same time as you, almost one year ago, December 22nd. I just went back to my oral surgeon for my one year check up this week. I was a senior in high school, and I feel ya I was not having the whole braces as a senior thing. I had actually had braces from 5th - 8th grade and I had the palate expander as well, and after I finally got those braces off, my teeth began to shift because my jaw grew after the fact. They also had to cut my top jaw in multiple places to widen it, and completely reposition the bottom jaw due to my open bite. Luckily, everything went very smoothly with my surgery and I was able to have my braces removed at the end of May. The only remnants of my surgery I still have are a lack of complete feeling in my lower lip and chin (who really needs that anyways?) This was such an emotional and grueling process, (I was horrible about getting enough calories and got down to a little over 90 pounds and literally had zero energy) and probably was the most hangry, depressed person. (Also Christmas time is awful to have this done...Christmas dinner from a syringe was definitely awful) However, all this work that you are putting in will be worth it in the end, I have never appreciated my smile so much in my life. I understand how frustrating this can be because I've been in your shoes but just try to stay positive and you'll have your lovely and perfect smile in no time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kiki,
      Thats so crazy how similar our cases are. I'm jealous you got your braces off so soon after, but I bet you are very happy with the results! I'm sorry you cant feel part of your lip. Thanks for the encouragement!

      Delete
  2. Hey Kelly! I just had lower jaw surgery on the the december and your blog is what's helping me think a lot of this is temporary; thank you for staying so positive. My face is currently swollen beyond belief and it feels like it's never going to go down. I haven't even able to sleep but 4-5 hours since my surgery it seems; it's been very very rough on me. Anyways glad to see
    You come out looking so good and happy with the results! -Alec

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alec,

      I remember it all too well. Its a slow recovery process, but as long as you stay positive, you can get through it! I hope you were able to get enough helpful information and tips to get you through recovery! And I hope you start to feel better real soon!

      Delete
  3. Hi Kelly, I just had my double jaw surgery on Tuesday. I've been recovering extremely well so far, and reading several blogs including yours has been very helpful. I also started my own blog, since it helps keep me from having to repeat myself to others.

    My jaws are wired shut for about two weeks, it's pretty close to impossible to talk right now, but I enjoy mumbling away at anyone who'll listen.

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete