Saturday, February 6, 2016

6 Weeks Out!

Yeah I almost forgot to post this week... that is proof that life goes back to normal!

My Surgeon kindly agreed to take a picture with me.
I had my 6 weeks post-op appointment this week. It was my last appointment with my surgeon until my braces come off. They want my to come back so they can take their "after" pictures and brag about what a good job they did on me. I'm super excited for that appointment because that'll mean I'M FREE. Also I'm hesitant to post any before pictures because I feel like it'll take away from the whole dramatic "before and after" unveiling. So stay tuned for that post. At my appointment, I was expecting him to clear me to chew whatever I wanted. But he wiggled my upper jaw, said it was still a little loose, and told me to continue the soft food diet for the remainder of the next three weeks. They say that my bone will be 100% healed at 9 weeks and I'll be good to go! Chewing to my heart's content. They also cleared me to start exercising as much as I want, meaning lifting weights running and exerting myself. I'm not allowed to play sports for two more weeks because if a ball were to hit me the wrong way, my face could move and eventually heal wrong. So as much as I hate not being able to train with my volleyball team, I think I can wait at the cost of my face.

I'm keeping super busy as usual so time flies and I occasionally forget I had the surgery in the first place. My speech is back at about 95% normality. The only time I feel like I have a lisp or awkward movement is when I'm smiling and trying to talk at the same time. My upper lip still has a tiny little bit of stiffness which is still prohibiting me from closing my mouth when its relaxed. Don't get me wrong, its definitely improving, but its not normal yet. And my chin feels pretty stiff still but I don't really need my chin for much at the moment. This is the best news yet....THE NUMBNESS IS ALL GONE! Even though there are still areas that have some tingling left in them, there isn't any place on my face that has no feeling. I can't even tell you how happy this makes me! (Shoutout to my Surgeon)

Let me preface this next part by saying I am so extremely happy with my results. I'm only 6 weeks out but my bite is perfect and fits beautifully. However, like I have read on other blogs, its been kind of a trip getting used to my new face. Its really psychological and it's not that I don't like myself when I look in the mirror, but its freaky. I saw myself one way for 20 years and now I look different. I tried not to make a big deal out of it or tell anyone, but I had some rough days these past few weeks. I've also had some freaking bomb days where my confidence is through the roof. Here's a picture of me on a day I was really feeling myself lol. As a side note, now that people are used to seeing the "new me," the general consensus is that my face looks thinner in shape. That it looks slimmer. Looking at pictures I feel like my nose looks wider when I smile, but maybe there's still swelling I don't normally notice? Only time will tell!


5 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh!!! That is my surgeon too!!! I'm SOOOO excited I found your blog! It's very reassuring to hear good things about him! I'm having upper jaw surgery (hopefully not double) in the fall to correct my underbite. I live in Chandler and went to ASU for undergrad (I graduated in 2007). When I saw your Havasupai post I wondered if you lived in Phoenix. I can't BELIEVE you hiked Havasupai only 3 months post-op! That's insane!! PLEASE post an update soon - I'm anxious to know when you got your braces off. I am getting married April 22, 2017 and I'm super worried about meeting that deadline! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelly - Just to give you an update: I *am* having double jaw surgery. Dr. Reed Day is going to move my upper jaw forward 2mm and my lower jaw back 3mm (so 5mm total movement to correct my underbite). He decided on double jaw surgery because apparently my upper jaw is crooked - the left side is lower than the right side, so he is going to straighten that out and move my upper jaw up a little bit so I show less of my gums when I smile. My surgery is officially booked for October 17, 2016! A month away! I can't wait!! I'll be sure to bring ear plugs with me in case I have noisy neighbors like you did :)

      Delete
    2. Hi Mckenzie,

      Sorry I took so long to respond! I hope your surgery went well and you are healing quickly! I'd love to hear about how you are healing and encourage you in any way I can! :)

      Delete
  2. What is the name of your surgeon? I just moved to AZ for school and need the name of a good Maxillofacial surgeon...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Danielle,
    His name is Dr. Reed Day and he's based in Phoenix, AZ!

    ReplyDelete