Friday, January 15, 2016

3 Weeks Out!!

Can I get a WOOT WOOT?
This Gelato really hits...the SPOT...
It's week three and almost everything is getting easier. I am more active, taking in more calories, and getting even more into my Netflix shows.. yeah, while I've been getting out more, its also exhausting. So for the time, Netflix is still my go-to for relaxing. Plus I'll be returning to school in a week, so I'm enjoying all the screen time I have left.

Today was my three week appointment with my Surgeon AND my first post op appointment with my Orthodontist. First stop was the orthodontist, and what I thought would be a short, sweet, "wow, looks good" appointment, quickly turned into an hour long cry fest. He poked around, and stretched my mouth more than I had hoped. He decided that I was ready enough to have my segmented pre-surgical wires taken out and replaced by the usual single braces wire. Sometime last week I figured out that I was missing a bracket on my right back molar. Turns out it came out during surgery, and they forgot to tell me. So I spent most of the week freaking out, thinking the thing had somehow entered one of my open mouth wounds and was lodged in my face forever. ANYWAY, my orthodontist wanted to replace this bracket but after lots of jaw stretching and tearing up on my part, he could not get his tools down there to fix it. I was relieved because I had already had my mouth open to max capacity for 30 minutes. So they just replaced my top wire and told me to come back in a week. Its not the orthodontist's fault that I'm such a baby, so I'm thankful that they're so flexible with the timeline of my post-surgical braces appointments. :)

I'm adoring my new profile. :)
Next up was the Surgeons office. It was a magical visit. As soon as I sat down in the chair, *POOF* my surgeon appeared. He had me open and bite a few times and wiggled my top jaw to
make sure it was stable. Then he said the words that I had been dying to hear for weeks, "MASHED POTATOES." But it didn't stop there-oh no. He continued on to say I could even start to chew very soft foods. He said I could have Mac & Cheese, oatmeal, soft pastas and Ice Cream. I was NOT expecting him to tell me I could chew anything at all until 6 weeks so I was totally caught off guard. I literally got teary eyed when he told me. Partially because I was already emotional from the traumatic appointment before, but also because my brain partially shut down from happiness overload. You try going three weeks on a strictly liquid and mush diet, and then come talk to me. They told me everything looked good, answered my questions, and said they'd see me in three more weeks.

In celebration of this milestone, my mom took me to get Gelato! I asked for a sample but it was too big to fit in my poor wounded mouth. The lady looked at me like I was psycho as I tried to open wider to shove the sample in. Nothing, not even weird looks, was gonna stop me from eating gelato... That night I got KFC mashed potatoes and mac & cheese. Let me tell you, wow. Mashed Potatoes never tasted so good. I tried to chew a cheesy noodle but quickly lost it in my cheek. This is gonna take some serious time and patience to re-learn how to chew again.


Numbness and Stiffness
The numbness is slowly going away as I get sensation back. Its not quite feeling yet but really prickly when I touch parts of my face. I've figured out that my speech is awkward still not because of the numbness, but because of the stiffness. The Doc told me that the stiffness will go away with time and I'll eventually be able to close my mouth without looking forced.

Pain & Swelling
I switched from my fluffy pillow to my flat pillow and the next morning I woke up feeling super swollen and in some pain. I think that maybe sleeping completely flat is not the best idea yet...switching back to my fluffy pillow as we speak. In general, the swelling is like 95% gone. Only I can tell there is any left. My pain is really only in the morning when I wake up and its just a dull soreness. Now that I've started chewing soft stuff, I have a little more aching but its tolerable.

At least its not creepy anymore..

I go back to school this week which should be interesting. My biggest worry is just my talking, but I doubt anyone will make fun of me. I just wish I didn't have to introduce myself in every class. I'll probably end up telling everyone I had Jaw Surgery just so they don't think I'm having a stroke. I feel like I have 98% of my energy back now, and I'm on my way to getting back to a healthy weight. I can't wait to start lifting weights and running again! In about 2 weeks I'll be allowed to jog/run and lift light weights. Still not too much bending over, but I'll make it work! Life is starting to slowly feel normal again and I'm excited to be with all my friends again. I'm hoping time will start to pass quickly so I can get to the part where I get my braces off. :)

5 comments:

  1. Hi Kelly

    First of, thank you for this blog, it's been a great resource! You really are looking amazing and that gives me hope for my upcoming surgery.

    I'm 29 currently in my third round of braces and have been recommended to have everything you had except the sagittal split to the mandible. I live in Calgary, AB, Canada and have considered travelling for the surgery because I have yet to find someone who can recommended a surgeon. Given that you clearly had great results I was wondering if you'd be willing to share the name of your surgeon?

    Thanks so much!
    Jalyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jalyn! Its been quite the journey and thanks for following along! My Surgeon is Dr. Reed Day in Phoenix, Arizona. AZ is a bit far from Canada, but its worth it! He's seriously the best on the west coast and this is all he does all-day-everyday. He claims that this is his purpose in life and heck, I believe the guy! He's a tall man but he has little baby hands, perfect for getting in there to fix your mouth! Here's a link to his website so you can research a little more about him: http://www.dr-day.com/meetdrday.php Let me know if you have anymore questions!

      Delete
    2. Sorry for the late reply. Thank you so much for sharing!

      Will continue reading your blog through your recovery.

      Take care

      Delete
  2. Your new smile looks absolutely amazing! In no time at all you will not have to worry about talking because everything will go back to normal. My speech was a little off for a few months following surgery but it snapped back and now you have no idea I even had to go under to repair the overcrowding in my mouth.

    Cynthia Bowers @ Bay Area TMJ & Sleep Center

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog has been so helpful! it sounds like you had the 3 piece left to expand the upper jaw (maxilla)? but I don't seen a splint in any of your photos. Did you not have one? I am scheduled to have double jaw surgery with maxilla expansion in 10 days with Dr. Sabol here in Phoenix. Thanks again for making this blog!

    ReplyDelete